[Mimedefang] HUGE problem with mimedefang

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Thu Apr 21 17:24:01 EDT 2005

Ben Kamen wrote:
> Lisa Casey wrote:
> > Are you saying I should modify that to read /etc/init.d/mimedefang
> > -U defang start
>
> Well, personally, I would find that to set bad precedence as if
> anything changes with sendmail - the /etc/init.d/sendmail file would
> change. You really want to start mimedefang before sendmail. You're
> running it the same way I am - but I'm keeping the processes
> separate... which everyone here will probably say is a good idea...
>
> Divide and conquer. Works in wars and Unix. ;)
>
> So split them back apart. Figure out which runlevel you want
> mimedefang to start in (which can be summed up as, any runlevel that
> has an S##sendmail) and put in a link to /etc/init.d/mimedefang to
> those rc.X dirs with an S##mimedefang AND MAKE SURE THAT THE ## is
> one less than sendmail. (it's that easy)

The canonical way to do this on RedHat is with chkconfig.  The MD
initscript should have a comment section somewhere near the top reading
something like:

# These comments are used by chkconfig and supporting programs
#
# chkconfig: 2345 79 31
#              virus scans on incoming mail messages.
# processname: mimedefang
# config: /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter
# pidfile: /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid

This indicates that it's "supposed" to be started at sequence number 79
in runlevels 2 through 5, and stopped at sequence number 31 in the
remaining runlevels.

Most people that distribute initscripts with this type of comment header
have tried to make sure the daemon starts at the "appropriate" sequence
number;  some systems may need to have adjustments.  YMMV.

To make use of this, run

# chkconfig --add mimedefang
# chkconfig mimedefang on

That should add the symlinks, and make sure it's set "correctly" to
start and stop in the appropriate runlevels.  Note that it will NOT
start MD.

chkconfig --list will show what services are supposedly configured to
start and stop in which runlevels.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!