[Mimedefang] HUGE problem with mimedefang

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Apr 21 15:43:59 EDT 2005

Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi again,
>

> Oliver wrote:
>
>> there is a status option for redhat, what distro do you?
>> Try downloading the 2.51 .tar.gz and just copy/edit the
>> redhat/mimedefang.init file
>> to your /etc/init.d/ dir
>

> I'm currently using 2.48 on Redhat. I don't want to upgrade right now
> (unless I have to) but I can't have a repeat of last night's problem
> either. I did download and unpack 2.51 and copied the init file to
> /etc/init.d (after backing up my current init file first!).
> But when I restart Sendmail & MIMEDefang (using /etc/init.d/sendmail
> stop/start) with the 2.51 init file in place I get:
>
> Starting mimedefang-multiplexor: ERROR: You must not run
> mimedefang-multiplexor as root.
> Use the -U option to set a non-root user.
> [FAILED]
> Starting mimedefang: ERROR: You must not run mimedefang as root.
> Use the -U option to set a non-root user.
> [FAILED]
> Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
>
> I have the /var/spool/MIMEDefang directory and all the files contained
> therein owned by the defang user. I'm not sure why the 2.51 init file is
> complaining, the 2.48 init file runs OK with my setup. What else should
> I change the  ownership of so I can use the 2.51 init file with my 2.48
> installation of Mimedefang?

I think the logs say it all right there...

You need to start mimedefang with -U defang. Am I not understanding something
about your install?

Did you edit rc.mimedefang?

in that file there's a line that says:

# Run the multiplexor and filters as this user, not root.  RECOMMENDED
MX_USER=defang

make sure that's set correctly..

  -Ben