[Mimedefang] HUGE problem with mimedefang

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Thu Apr 21 15:36:31 EDT 2005

Hi again,

Oliver wrote:
> there is a status option for redhat, what distro do you?
> Try downloading the 2.51 .tar.gz and just copy/edit the
> redhat/mimedefang.init file
> to your /etc/init.d/ dir

I'm currently using 2.48 on Redhat. I don't want to upgrade right now
(unless I have to) but I can't have a repeat of last night's problem either.
I did download and unpack 2.51 and copied the init file to /etc/init.d
(after backing up my current init file first!).
But when I restart Sendmail & MIMEDefang (using /etc/init.d/sendmail
stop/start) with the 2.51 init file in place I get:

Starting mimedefang-multiplexor: ERROR: You must not run
mimedefang-multiplexor as root.
Use the -U option to set a non-root user.
[FAILED]
Starting mimedefang: ERROR: You must not run mimedefang as root.
Use the -U option to set a non-root user.
[FAILED]
Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]

I have the /var/spool/MIMEDefang directory and all the files contained
therein owned by the defang user. I'm not sure why the 2.51 init file is
complaining, the 2.48 init file runs OK with my setup. What else should I
change the  ownership of so I can use the 2.51 init file with my 2.48
installation of Mimedefang?

Thanks,

Lisa Casey