[Mimedefang] Streams and MaxRecipientsPerMessage

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Apr 18 16:57:15 EDT 2005

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> That would defeat the purpose of being able to reject all messages at the
> SMTP level rather than accepting them and then bouncing them.  Instead of
> the MD machine bouncing them, it would be the intermediate machine.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with SMTP as it's currently standardized, and
I do not see either of the proposals I mentioned becoming standards-track
any time soon.  Even if they are widely accepted by the standards community,
I don't see MTA authors adopting them quickly, and even if MTA authors
adopt them, ratware authors won't.  We're stuck.

> Yes, but how do you seperate my address from another address at the same
> domain?  Give 28,000 users an address like user at user.domain.tld?

It's impractical.  Some MTAs will batch together recipients that have
the same MX host, so that kind of indirection is all for naught.