[Mimedefang] roaringpenguin.com is listed in rfc-ignorant

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Tue Sep 28 18:06:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> It seems they're blocking you in clear violation of their own policy:
> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-postmaster.php
> -- begin quote --
> It was decided that we wouldn't list folks if the rejection message for postmaster seemed to indicate the reason for denial ("{ip} rejected as listed on the MAPS RBL", etc.)
> -- end quote --

No. They're excluding the DSN test from that policy:
http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-dsn.php

<quote>
Domains are listed in the dsn.rfc-ignorant.org zone based on the following
criterion:

    If the publicly listed MX record for domain refuses to accept mail with
a originator given as <>, then the domain will be considered a viable
candidate for inclusion in the zone.

For example, let's say the domain in question is "example.tld", and an MX
query for "example.tld" returns two mail servers, "mx1.example.tld" and
"backup-mx.example.tld". If you connect to either of those MXes and mail
FROM "<>" and TO an address in the example.tld domain is rejected (unless
it is clear it is being rejected because the target address doesn't actually
exist), then example.tld could be listed. Generally, sending MAIL FROM:<>
and RCPT TO:<postmaster at example.tld> is a good test case, since the former
address should exist and the latter address should not be cause for
rejection (if it is rejected, see postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org).

</quote>