[Mimedefang] Clamav milter or call from MIMEDefang?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Fri Sep 24 11:52:36 EDT 2004

Nels Lindquist wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2004 at 9:00, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> If you want to save resources on your box, run clamav-milter FIRST.
>> This will save an expensive SpamAssassin call.
>
> How so?  The default filter already avoids calling SA if the message
> has been marked for discard or rejection, which are the two most
> common dispositions for virus-bearing messages (the default filter
> discards them).

MIMEDefang carries the SpamAssassin object around for the life of the mimedefang process.  If the process is waiting for a clamscan or clamd socket scan, it's not using the SpamAssassin object.

If the mail can be rejected by clamav-milter, that mimedefang process will never see the viral email.  So the next email in line can be scanned using the SpamAssassin object in that mimedefang process, rather than spawning another slave and an unnecessary SpamAssassin object.

> <snip>
>
>> There is actually a good argument for running clamav-milter AND
>> calling clamav from MIMEDefang.  clamav-milter and MIMEDefang
>> decompose the message differently, and MIMEDefang might feed a
>> MIME-part to clamav differently than clamav-milter would.
>
> That hasn't been true since the introduction of
> md_copy_orig_msg_to_work_dir in MD 2.42.

Apologies... I've been using 2.38 and have only just now upgraded to 2.45!

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"