[Mimedefang] quarantine_entire_message: I don't get it

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Mon Sep 20 12:37:46 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Paul Boven wrote:

>>Upon detecting a virus, I would like Mimedefang to quarantine the whole
>>message, and send a message to the recipient (not sender) about this.
>>However, if I call
>>quarantine_entire_message('An email for you was quarantined');
>>from within filter_begin, the message in question doesn't actually get
>>quarantined: in fact, what ends up in the quarantine is the warning
>>message I wanted to generate. Even worse, the (test-)virus gets trough
>>unscathed.

> Read the mimedefang-filter man page really carefully.

Thanks. I have, and the part I missed is 'does not affect dispisition of
the message'. So once I do a quarantine_entire_message I should then do
a discard() to get rid of the virus. But how would I send the intended
recipient a message that there's something in the quarantine in case
he/she is interested?
In earlier versions of mimedefang you would only have to quarantine the
infected 'part' and it was easy to replace it with a warning note. But
quarantine_entire_message() works quite differently from quarantine() I
have just learned, and I can't seem to find any function to turn the
infected email into a warning for the recipients.
I would really appreciate another hint...

Regards, Paul Boven.