[Mimedefang] Danger of .vcs files?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Sep 30 12:53:40 EDT 2004

I thought .vcs was for virtual cards?

i.e. Palm Desktop (the windows program for PalmOS handhelds) and others,
etc..etc... (or was that .vcd?)

Anyway - just a thought..

  -Ben

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> Jim Hatfield wrote:
>
>>I see that .vcs is listed in filter_bad_filename.
>>
>>One of my users is subscribed to a mailing list and there
>>are often mails to the list with attachments called vcal.vcs.
>>Because we reject these at the gateway, the list management
>>software is getting tetchy and threatening to remove him from the
>>list.
>>
>>If anyone can tell me what the danger of these files is,
>>I'd appreciate it, then I can decide whether to risk
>>letting them in.
>>
>>jim
>

> Does the user need to receive the .vcs attachments?
> If not, why not just quarantine all .vcs attachments rather than bouncing the email.
>
> .vcs does not appear on webopedia's list of known extensions:
> http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/fileextensionsv.asp
>
> so it can't be a commonly associated extension.
>
> Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
> Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
> perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"

Ben Kamen - O.D.T, S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that  *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept *
* of Natural Resources.                                                 *