[Mimedefang] Danger of .vcs files?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Thu Sep 30 12:27:42 EDT 2004

Jim Hatfield wrote:
> I see that .vcs is listed in filter_bad_filename.
>
> One of my users is subscribed to a mailing list and there
> are often mails to the list with attachments called vcal.vcs.
> Because we reject these at the gateway, the list management
> software is getting tetchy and threatening to remove him from the
> list.
>
> If anyone can tell me what the danger of these files is,
> I'd appreciate it, then I can decide whether to risk
> letting them in.
>
> jim

Does the user need to receive the .vcs attachments?
If not, why not just quarantine all .vcs attachments rather than bouncing the email.

.vcs does not appear on webopedia's list of known extensions:
http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/fileextensionsv.asp

so it can't be a commonly associated extension.

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"