[Mimedefang] Reject vs Drop and MX

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Fri Sep 24 18:04:23 EDT 2004

> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:45:16 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
> Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Reject vs Drop and MX
> To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
>
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Troy Carpenter wrote:
>
>> According to that section, the first entry says that if I define my
>> global
>> outside of all routines, it is available to all routines.  Does that
>> imply
>> that if I change that global variable within a routine that my change
>> doesn't keep after the routine ends?
>
> It keeps in the original slave, but the problem is that the
> filter_begin might happen in a completely different Perl slave from
> the corresponding filter_relay.  On a quiet mail server, this happens
> occasionally.  On a busy one, it happens all the time.

Ah, that explains that...my system is VERY low volume.  I normally have
only two slaves running and even then the messages come in so that slave 1
is almost always used.

(By the way, that is better explained in the MAINTAINING STATE section
than the GLOBAL VARIABLE LIFETIME section, IMHO).

So then, like the MAINTAINING STATE section says, I can put a file in the
working directory and test for its presense to decide what to do, right?

Then the only change in my solution to the _originally_ asked MX problem
is to write out a file to $CWD in the filter_relay() routine indicating
that the MX was used (instead of using the RELAY flag from before) and
check for that file in filter_begin().  The original logic remains the
same.

Troy Carpenter
troy at carpenter.cx