[Mimedefang] MimeDefang errors

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Fri Sep 24 15:02:18 EDT 2004

Thomas Barnes wrote:
> Oh, those sneaky. . .  err. . umm (you know-whats)  sending spam  with a
> forged from address.  Slipped right past my radar.
>
> I put in my sa-mimedefang.cf a whitelist of *@barnestormer.com  but when
> they forge a return from address , I get a -100 score and the mail is
> passed. I was thinking that tweaking a RCVD_HELO_IP_MISMATCH or
> something similar might fix that.

You have several options.
1) Take off the whitelist and be careful that nothing you send yourself looks like spam.
2) Turn on SMTP AUTH - whenever you send yourself something, connect via SMTP AUTH.  Skip the SpamAssassin checks on AUTH'd connections.
3) Whenever you send yourself something, connect to 127.0.0.1 (assuming you only send yourself things from the server.)  Skip SpamAssassin checks on connections from 127.0.0.1
4) Generate a random string of (say) 50 printable characters.  Configure your mail client to have a custom header Anti-Spam-Tag: ASDKJFAKNCEAWJKAWEJKJRAOFJ....  Create a custom SpamAssassin rule to give -100 on this header.

Or are there other people @barnestormer.com?