[Mimedefang] VERY Newbie Question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Oct 30 00:27:06 EDT 2004

Am Sa, den 30.10.2004 schrieb Kevin A. McGrail um 5:29:

> > To speak freely, a
> > mail server administrator who does not setup his server
> > properly, means the server hostname / IP fits both the
> > forward and reverse DNS entries, is responsible himself if
> > his wrong setup leads to rejected mails.
>
> I disagree whole-heartedly with this statement.  Virtual hosters and
> companies with multiple corporate entities using one mail server is just one
> of the very legitimate reasons for this.  I would also put forth that the
> concept of any security methodology based on reverse DNS seems highly
> antiquated.

Sorry, I did not vote for rejecting based on a missing reverse DNS
entry. No RFC states that such an entry is required for an MTA. But I
really see no reason why the forward DNS entry and the hostname of a
constant, legitimate mail server should differ.

> KAM

Back to the HELO check in filter_sender: to be less restrictive you can
check whether the HELO says to be the recipient host's name/IP.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 06:07:29 up 10 days, 2:47, load average: 0.15, 0.31, 0.81