[Mimedefang] Secondary MX bypassing mimedefang.

James Ochs jochs at froody.org
Sun Oct 10 21:17:51 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I have my mail server configured to reject any spam with a "5.7.1 spam
rejected" message.  Each message is then sent to my secondary mx (over which
I don't have administrative control) which does not have any spam filtering
installed.  As seems to be the case from the other discussions I have read,
when the secondary mx delivers the messages to the primary mx they are not
run through mime defang, but dumped straight into the end user delivery
routines.

Before I upgraded to mimedefang 2.4.5 and spamassassin 3.0.0 these would all
show up in my "spam" folder after running through procmail and spamassassin
during the user delivery process.  Now that I have upgraded, these secondary
attempts result in a "mail_in" message in the mime defang log, however they
seem to be silently disappearing...

The questions I have are this:

1) why is mail coming from a secondary mx not put through mimedefang?
2) is this mimedefang's behaviour or sendmails?
3) what is the logic behind this behaviour?  This is a huge loophole that
benefits the spammers....
4) how can I resolve this without a) installing milters on the secondary mx
or b) not having a secondary mx?
5) now that I have upgraded to the newer versions, where is the mail that is
coming from the secondary mx after being rejected the first time going? (it
seems to be 100% spam so far so maybe I don't care, but I don't like things
silently disappearing...)

Thanks,
James