[Mimedefang] OT: Perl Resource

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Sat Oct 9 12:40:44 EDT 2004

Jeff Grossman wrote:
> What is a good book on Perl programming?  I would like something that
> will help me with the mimedefang-filter file.

IMHO the two most essential books are O'Reilly's "Programming Perl" (often
referred to as "the Camel"), and O'Reilly's "Perl Cookbook".  The first book
is a very thorough general reference.  The second book contains a series of
"recipes" to assist with completing common tasks, divided up by topic
(lists, hashes, file access, subroutines, etc.)  I've worn those two books
out over the years.  If I were to lose either one of these books I'd rush
out and buy a replacement copy without a second thought.

If you want something to ease you into Perl (the Camel assumes you are
already a programmer, just not a Perl one), then you might want to consider
picking up O'Reilly's "Learning Perl".  It's a good book to get your feet
wet, but I've found that it doesn't have the long term value that the other
two books I mentioned do.

HTH