[Mimedefang] filtering Subjects contains HTML code

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Nov 1 09:54:54 EST 2004

Gordon Veri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have been using Mimedefang for nearly a year now  at the company I work
> at with great success. We have some spam coming through because of what I
> believe is HTML code or illegal characters in the subject line.  Below is
> a sample from the sendmail log showing the subject line.  Is there anyway
> to get rid of the messages that begin with '=?utf-8'?  Any rule examples
> would be appreciated or a point in the right direction?
>
> Oct 27 08:08:10 skyextmta mimedefang.pl[27226]:
> MDLOG,i9RE7V75027868,mail_in,4.266,217.239.20.9,<xxxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxx>,<xxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxx>,=?utf-8?q?youngish
> ang ruttish?= =?utf-8?q? misses are awaitin?= =?utf-8?q?g you!?=

That's not HTML.  It is a way to encode non-US ASCII characters into
headers.  The idea is more or less the same as idea behind
quoted-printable content type.  You will see those in normal
communication of anybody not speaking English.  Or even English, if
Subject is to contain ISO 8859-1 chars with codes 160-255, such as
copyright, pound, multiply, divide, and so on (and let not forget
Europens that might want to use Euro symbol in emails).  It is not
limited to Subject header.  It can be part of From, To, or any other
header.  For example, take a look into message source of email from Jose
de Jesus Garcia Hernandez from this very mailing list and see how From
header looks like.  He might have included some actented chars in
Subject too, even if it was in English, simply because he is used using
them.

If you live in US, most of your correspondents will use US-ASCII only,
and such emails will usually be spam.  If you have any oversees
correspondents, sooner or later you'll end up refusing some of the
legitimate email.