[Mimedefang] tmpfs on Linux

Matthew S. Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Mon Nov 15 13:33:16 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:15:04PM -0500, scohen wrote:

> > On my machine:
> >
> > /dev/ram0               483886        46    458840   1% /var/spool/MIMEDefang
> > /dev/ram1               483886    132675    326211  29% /var/spool/bayes
> >

> With your setup you can lose 23 hours worth of data. The question for you
> is is that acceptable or not?

Yeah, that is an acceptable worst-case scenario.

> Btw, do you make sure your database isn't
> being used when you copy it? If not, have you tried to use a backup?

I don't do anything to ensure it isn't in use.  My startup script
copies the latest backup over to the ramdisk after creating it, and so
far with three servers and a few reboots over the last couple years I
haven't had an issue.

The other performance boost I got was to specify noatime for the var
filesystem, where sendmail's spool dir resides.

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590