[Mimedefang] file descriptor warning only on fresh boot

Ben Kelly ben.kelly at ieee.org
Thu Nov 11 00:26:48 EST 2004

Hello all,

Recently I noticed that when my server reboots the following appears in
my log:

Nov 10 06:50:05 vir mimedefang-multiplexor[543]: WARNING: Something in
your Perl filter appears to h
ave opened a file descriptor outside of any function.  With embedded
Perl, you should move any code
that opens a file descriptor into filter_initialize.  DON'T BLAME
MIMEDEFANG IF YOUR FILTER FAILS IN
  MYSTERIOUS AND UNPREDICTABLE WAYS.

Later, after the first message I get:

Nov 10 08:51:47 vir mimedefang-multiplexor[543]: Slave 0 stderr:
Warning: unable to close filehandle
  LOGF properly.

When this occurs RBL checks in spamassassin no longer seem to occur.

If I restart mimedefang I do not see these errors.  I understand the
warning is in place because global file descriptors are not supported
and will automatically be closed.  However, as you can see from the
attached file my filter is pretty standard and does not do anything
wacky with files.

The system is running FreeBSD 5.3 RC2 with the following relevant ports:

mimedefang-2.48
p5-Convert-BinHex-1.119
p5-Digest-HMAC-1.01
p5-Digest-SHA1-2.10
p5-HTML-Parser-3.36
p5-HTML-Tagset-3.03
p5-IO-stringy-2.108
p5-MIME-Base64-3.05
p5-MIME-Tools-5.415,2
p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1_1
p5-Mail-Tools-1.64
p5-Net-DNS-0.48
p5-URI-1.34
perl-5.8.5
razor-agents-2.61_3
clamav-0.80

The MIMEDefang spool directory is mounted off a swap-backed memory
device:

Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md10     186M    8.0K    171M     0%    /var/spool/MIMEDefang

Any ideas what is going on?  Am I doing something wrong?  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- Ben  (I am not on the list so please keep me CC'd)