[Mimedefang] tmpfs on Linux

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu Nov 11 09:13:17 EST 2004

> How would you suggest I do this? I have tried setting MaxDaemonChildren
> to 20, but those quickly get eaten up and I just end up refusing lots of
> mail. What is the recommended course of action in this case?

Well, it just sounds like you need more RAM first which I think you agree
on.

Second, you may need to lower the amount of time your MIMEDefang spends on
messages.  Have you considered turning off the SpamAssassin Network-Based
tests?

Third, you need to look at your mail volume.  Do you know how many messages
per day/per hour you are getting?  You might just simply need a more
powerful machine or a cluster of machines to share the load.

Fourth, are you having any issues with dictionary attacks or email
harvesting?  Is this machine the mail destination or just a gateway to
another mail server?

> True. Maybe we should just stop this email business. It's just a fad,
> right? :)

I'd laugh if I didn't have a customer once argue this with me.

Regards,
KAM