[Mimedefang] using white lists with mimedefang

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Nov 4 15:53:01 EST 2004

I was playing with auto-whitelising.  If I add these to sa-mimedefang.cf

#Enable AWL
lock_method              flock
use_auto_whitelist       1
auto_whitelist_path      /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-autowhitelist
auto_whitelist_file_mode 0640

It seems that SpamAssassin will start using auto_whitelist feature.

However, in sample mimedefang-filter, there are also these lines of code:

   # If you want to use auto-whitelisting:
   #if (defined($SASpamTester)) {
   #  use Mail::SpamAssassin::DBBasedAddrList;
   #  my $awl = Mail::SpamAssassin::DBBasedAddrList->new();
   #  $SASpamTester->set_persistent_address_list_factory($awl)
   #    if defined($awl);
   #}

Question is, do I need them, if I already enabled white listing in
sa-miedefang.cf?  If I leave them disabled, everything seems to be
working.  DBBasedAddrList is default anyhow.  I'm not sure what
set_persistent_address_list_factory() is supposed to do?

Thanks for any help/hints.