[Mimedefang] SURBL lookups no longer happening after upgrade to 2.48

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Nov 1 17:16:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Sven Willenberger wrote:

> FreeBSD 5.2.1-Release had been using MD 2.44 with SA 2.64 and later with
> 3.0 and successfully was querying the SURBL nameserver (running a cached
> copy locally) -- this was visible using tcpdump on the loopback device
> listening on the rbldns port. Upgraded to MD 2.48 and no longer see
> traffic on this port, nor do I see the results of the SURBL tests in the
> spammy mail.

Do you see messages like this in your log?

   WARNING: Something in your Perl filter appears to have opened a file
   descriptor outside of any function.  With embedded Perl, you should
   move any code that opens a file descriptor into filter_initialize.
   DON'T BLAME MIMEDEFANG IF YOUR FILTER FAILS IN MYSTERIOUS AND
   UNPREDICTABLE WAYS.