[Mimedefang] Accuracy of infected IP in mdlog

Jerome Tytgat jerome.tytgat at asterion.fr
Mon May 17 11:06:47 EDT 2004

> Sure; but that's not what I meant.  I mean you have no *legal* standing
> against the end user.  You can ask the other ISP nicely to do something,
> but you can't really force them to.

Yes, of course we depend on nice ISP :)

BTW, it's not true that we have no *legal* standing, in France, since 1990,
it's illegal to even try to scan another user, and you are responsible
for anything that go through your computer.

Sending a virus, event if you don't know anything about it, is illegal and if you
do nothing about it you could have some problem if you meet a dumb user or isp...

And since two days ago, the legislation has been even reinforced...
(badly reinforced... like US patriot act)

> Most ISPs are well-behaved and will take action, but a lot of them get
> so many abuse complaints that they just ignore them.

Or have robot response saying "we took actions against this user" but
nothing stops...

Btw the best response I got for now was from a Belgian ISP called Skynet.