[Mimedefang] Accuracy of infected IP in mdlog

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon May 17 10:35:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jerome Tytgat wrote:

>  > By the time
> > mail has passed to a second ISP, the second ISP has no standing to
> > intervene.

> this is not completely true, I've worked for a small ISP here in france
> three years ago, and we were able to alert other ISP about and offending
> IP rather easily.

Sure; but that's not what I meant.  I mean you have no *legal* standing
against the end user.  You can ask the other ISP nicely to do something,
but you can't really force them to.

Most ISPs are well-behaved and will take action, but a lot of them get
so many abuse complaints that they just ignore them.