[Mimedefang] CLAMD/FileScan and Upgraded from 2.38 to 2.42

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri May 14 20:33:06 EDT 2004

At 08:55 AM 5/14/2004, David Erickson wrote:
>I do not know if FileScan is
>better than CLAMD but since i have CLAMD updating regualrly i decided to
>disable FileScan in the meantime and let CLAMD do it's job.

I don't know if anyone's actually tested it, but File::Scan is generally
assumed to be the fastest virus scanner available if you're already in
Perl.  Calling a daemonized scanner like Clamd really cuts down on the
startup costs, though.

Clamd, however, has a much more thorough database than File::Scan.  FS
focuses on the most common viruses, which makes it a very good first line
of defense, while ClamAV is intended to be a complete antivirus program.

If I had to choose between them, I'd make the same choice you did and stick
with Clamd.

Kelson Vibber