[Mimedefang] FW: final fillter setup

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Tue May 11 12:40:17 EDT 2004

In my experience, in the last year the only virus notifications I have seen pass
through our servers has had a forged sender address - the message received was
advising us that we had sent a virus, when in fact we had not, and could prove
that from the fact that we scan outbound as well as inbound mail, our mail logs
had no such entry, and our firewall prevents any system except our mail hub from
sending e-mail.

By not sending a notification to the "real sender" (which is impossible to
determine) when a virus is detected, you risk the sender not knowing that they
are infected.  Since most of them don't understand, don't care or will ignore
your message, you are wasting your time and bandwidth.  By not doing it, the
impact on you and your reputation is nil.

By sending a notification to someone who does understand, does care, and who
doesn't ignore the message, you are destroying any credibility you have, and run
the risk of causing panic in your customer base.  This is very ill-advised....

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741