[Mimedefang] Removing read receipts for particular account.

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Thu May 6 12:12:17 EDT 2004

Prashanth KB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any one help me in how to remove read receipts for a particular
> email id?
>
> For example:
>
> user at somedomain.com sends a mail to myuser at mydomain.com and request a
> read receipt. I want to block in sendmail or by using mimedefang the
> read receipts sent by myuser at mydomain.com.

Are you familiar with the format of these receipts?  IOW do you know the envelope
sender, any particular headers, subject, body, etc that would accurately determine
that a message is (1) a read receipt and (2) sent by "user at somedomain.com"?  Coming
up with the perl code to discard these is the trivial part (to me), but I've
forgotten everything I used to know about what read receipts look like.  I know that
most of them have a null envelope sender (<>), so I imagine it would take some
header and or body parsing to determine that it is indeed a read receipt (and not a
DSN) and that it did in fact come from "user at somedomain.com" and not someone else...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722