[Mimedefang] Notify recipient?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 25 09:12:39 EST 2004

>> And silent discard violates SMTP RFC...
>
> Yes, it does, but the SMTP RFCs were written a long time ago for a more
> friendly environment.  In my opinion, silently discarding viruses is OK,
> because there are hardly ever any false-positives, and bouncing may do
> more harm than good.  However, I concede that replying with a 5xx code
> is the "proper" thing to do.

Some systems accept everything and then send bounce notices to those
not being delivered.   That conforms to RFC.  In the case of viruses,
we don't know who to send to, since the sender information is faked.
It's the double-bounce situation.  There is no one to send to.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York