[Mimedefang] Notify recipient?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 24 09:56:41 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Tomasz Ostrowski wrote:

> Unfortunately for this to work there has to be good antivirus program
> on the server.

Well, yes.  It's just designed to stop people from using action_notify_sender
if one of the *_contains_virus functions finds a virus.

> And silent discard violates SMTP RFC...

Yes, it does, but the SMTP RFCs were written a long time ago for a more
friendly environment.  In my opinion, silently discarding viruses is OK,
because there are hardly ever any false-positives, and bouncing may do
more harm than good.  However, I concede that replying with a 5xx code
is the "proper" thing to do.