[Mimedefang] Block mail by subject (OT)

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Mar 24 15:14:44 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 03/24/2004 02:42:33
PM:

> Is the vanity domain's mail server at fault in this situation?  Should
it's
> MTA deliver everything in the foreground, holding open the original SMTP
> connection and deferring a final response to it until it sees if my
server
> will accept the message or not?  (If so, does this approach scale for
sites
> that accept a large amount of mail?)  Should ".forward" style
redirecting be
> done away with altogether?

I would say that yes, the vanity server is responsible.  It is the one
that accepted the virus in the first place.  In this day and age, running
a mail server without virus protection is asking for trouble.

What if the original user sets up a .forward to your server, but then
closes his account on your server.  Everything that was forwarded to your
server would then bounce. I suppose you could hold the user partly
responsible in this scenario because he didn't cancel the .forward.