[Mimedefang] Block mail by subject

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Mar 24 10:49:09 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 03/24/2004 08:22:38
AM:
> <SARCASM>
> Would he be happier with a virus?  It sounds to me like he would be.  So
I'd
> code an exception based on him the sender, and him the recipient, to not
do
> any filtering whatsoever.  Let his box fill with spam, and let him be
the
> source of all virus propagation within the organization.
> </SARCASM>

Sarcasm noted.  He was the sender to another recipient and the message was
just vanishing.  That's one of the beautifull things about MD (and CanIT),
is that it can issue a permanent failure when you refuse to accept a
message.  If the receiver had done that, I would have had something to go
on when trying to help my director.  All I had to go on was my logs
showing the message being delivered. Finally we got a tech at the other
end to admit they were blocking the subject "For your review" because one
of the viruses was using that as a subject.

By issuing a reject, the wrath justifiably falls upon the relay being used
to send the virus, not us. And if a real sender gets rejected, they have
some clue as to what's going on.

If a virus is detected, I am far more agreeable that the message can be
quietly discarded.  But blocking on content without notification is wrong.