[Mimedefang] Block mail by subject

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Tue Mar 23 13:05:12 EST 2004

Hernan,

> How can I block a mail depending of the subject ?? This is
> for blocking messages with viruses, for example a message with
> the subjet: "Re: Your files" belong to a virus, I have a list
> of all the posibles subjects, how can I block this subjects ????
> one by one or all once ?

You could have a check in filter_begin or filter_end which checks the subject
against a list of regular expressions.

Having said that - Don't do it.  You'll never keep up with the polymorphic
viruses, variants, and so on, and you'll also block messages with no attachments
just because they have subjects which match your list.  A classic example is
blocking messages with a subject of "Hello" - this includes MyDoom and several
other viruses, but in my experience also catches two or three messages per week
which are valid.

If you want to stop viruses, use the bad extension rule, block all potentially
executable files, and USE A VIRUS SCANNER.  With Mimedefang and Clamd, you have
no excuse for not scanning every attachment - it's free and reasonably quick.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741