OT: Gentoo, Red Hat, etc. (was Re: [Mimedefang] Latest MIME-Tools)

Alan Madill amadill at hwy16.com
Mon Mar 22 20:01:49 EST 2004

> David F. Skoll said:

> > Fedora Core 1's actually not too bad.  I have Gentoo on a laptop,
> > but compiling *everything* from source pretty soon gets tiresome.

> Their are some rhel enterprise clones: Taolinux http://taolinux.org/
> Lineox http://www.lineox.com/ Caos linux http://www.caosity.org/
> Whitebox Linux http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

Timely topic.  I am setting up a new server for a customer.  We have always
used RedHat distros and I'm comfortable with them.  I was going to purchase
Enterprise Server ES basic edition today.  At a cost of $350 US it isn't out of
line for a years worth of updates and bug fixes.

I phoned their presales support line just to see if their support was as good as
it was the last time I called (maybe two years ago).

In the course of the conversation I asked if I was allowed to install the OS on
more than one server or if the update rpms were available for download to a
subscriber.  The answer to both questions was NO.

Now I have a bit of a quandry.  The server I'm building is a medium office
general purpose system.  There is a good chance it will be running Oracle
which is only supported on a couple of distros.  But I want to stick to the same
platform across most of the sites I support and the Redhat ES is going to be a
bit rich for most of them.

--
Alan Madill - Aspen House Systems
250 567-4200