[Mimedefang] Latest MIME-Tools

Justin listuser at numbnuts.net
Mon Mar 22 14:54:32 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Nels Lindquist wrote:

> Which RedHat distribution are you using?  PostgreSQL RPMs have been
> included on the CD (though not necessarily installed by default) at
> least as far back as 6.2, and if you want a more recent version,
> binary and source RPMs can be downloaded directly from
> http://www.postgresql.org/.

Our new mail system is unfortunately using RH9.  I would have preferred
7.3 but kernel drivers with 9 were required by some of the hardware.

I almost never use any outward facing daemons that aren't compiled from
source.  I compile just about everything from source if given the
opportunity.  RH is terrible about keeping up with the latest greatest
unless it involves a critical security fix.  RH is also terrible about
using the compile-time options that I want.  When was the last time you
used an RPM to install Apache or MIMEDefang? :)

> "Better" is somewhat subjective. :-)
>
> Having to recompile from source every time there's, let's say, a
> security patch for glibc doesn't strike me as necessarily superior to
> a binary package when you're talking about server maintenance.

Well, anything is better than RH9.  This is the 4th RH9 box I've set up in
as many months and I'm left wondering if the RH engineers actually woke up
in the morning and thought to themselves "Where can we randomly put
libraries today and how many oddball things can we statically link to
them?"  LOL.  I swear half the job of getting a new RH9 server online is
undoing all of the oddball RH intricacies.  Why in the world did they put
kerberos in /usr/kerberos?  Why UTF-8?  Why is pine statically linked to
an old version of SASL?  Why does RPM have to be so darned obtuse?  I'm
just getting sick of RH.  7.3 was good enough for most of my servers after
I was done with them.  RH9 is the final stray for me though.  I've heard a
lot of good things about Gentoo so I'm going to at least give it a try.
I'm not sure what to consider after that.  Debian perhaps.

I actually compile much of my system from source now.  A new release of
sendmail doesn't compell me to wait a couple days for RH to back port the
fix like the frequently do.  Instead I download the latest source,
configure, compile and install it myself.  That's just the way I've always
done it.  I'll do the same with PostgreSQL like I planned on doing with
MySQL.

Thanks for the reply
 Justin