[Mimedefang] Latest MIME-Tools

Justin listuser at numbnuts.net
Sun Mar 21 19:14:31 EST 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Justin wrote:
>
> Back on topic:  MIME-Tools is unmaintained.  We may ask the previous
> maintainer for permission to take it over.  It's a bad situation to have
> such a critical piece of software unmaintained.

That would be a good idea.  It had a developer release this summer
(6.200_02) but I don't know if it fixed its problems or not).

> MySQL is no good for us because:
>
> - It lacks foreign key constraints.
> - It lacks subselects.
> - It lacks transactions (well, InnoDB has transactions, but IMO they are still
>   immature.)
> - Its licensing is a problem if you want to use it for commercial purposes.
>   This is really the killer for us; the other points could probably be
>   worked around.

I'm showing my DB ignorance.  I really need to come up with a project or
two and force myself to learn.

> PostgreSQL poses no such problems.

If it's needed then that's what we'll use.  I'm hoping to get the demo
info this week so I can try it out during this week of configuration and
next week of testing.  If we buy Can-It Pro then hopefully we can get some
help setting up PostgreSQL right since we really don't know how.
Actually I hope we can get some help in a few months when we finally dump
Redhat and switch to something better, hopefully Gentoo.

Boo hoo, Kentucky.

Justin