[Mimedefang] F-Risk Fprotd -how to use?

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Mar 18 10:00:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, J.D. Bronson wrote:

> I have 1 question...does not f-protd change ports??

Yup. It's somewhere explained how and why; in general, as soon as the old
(currently running) demon finds an updated image, it spawns the new one
and, when this one is up and running, terminates itself; because of
security reasons, I think I remember. Because of this, the new one cannot
bind to the port, because the old demon is still bound to it. However, the
documentation varies about how many ports are used by this mechanism, the
sample client script checks three ports, the documentation says "4", and
some resource summary lists: 10200..10204 -- hence: five ports.

> Does MD then try any of those by default starting with the first one?

MD tries the ports in order 10200 .. 10204 till there is a valid response.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser