[Mimedefang] Ram based directory on FreeBSD 5.2x

Wesley Peters wpeters at stbernard.com
Tue Mar 9 20:38:17 EST 2004

On Tuesday, March 09, 2004 7:05 AM, J.D. Bronson <mailto:jbronson at wixb.com> alleged:

> md   /var/spool/MIMEDefang  mfs  rw,-s512m,noasync,noatime   0 0
>
> This works nicely, but has the default of:
>
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root    wheel    512 Mar  9 08:42 MIMEDefang
>
> Does anyone know of a way to get this setup with the correct permissions?
>
> Otherwise, after it mounts I have to do:
>
> #chmod 700 MIMEDefang
> #chown defang MIMEDefang
>
> prior to starting mimedefang....

man mount_mfs:

     -p permissions
             Set the file (directory) permissions of the mount point
             mount-point to permissions.  The permissions argument can be in
             any of the mode formats recognized by chmod(1).  If symbolic per-
             missions are specified, the operation characters ``+'' and ``-''
             are interpreted relative to the initial permissions of ``a=rwx''.

     -w user:group
             Set the owner and group to user and group, respectively.  The
             arguments have the same semantics as with chown(8), but specify-
             ing just a user or just a group is not supported.

These can be specified along with the rest of the mount options.  You
have to do it this way, since memory disks evaporate during shutdown,
there isn't anywhere else to record ownership and permissions. (*)

* - There is, but you don't want to confuse yourself, just put it in
the fstab.

--
Wes Peters <wpeters at stbernard.com>
Sr. Software Engineer, St. Bernard Software