[Mimedefang] starting on freebsd 5.2.1

Royce Williams royce.williams at acsalaska.net
Tue Mar 9 13:28:45 EST 2004

Ron Wilhoite wrote:

>>I was wondering (yet another newbie question here) how people
>>started mimedefang on freebsd 5.2.x ?
>
> Assuming mimedefang.sh and sendmail.sh you are good to go.
>
> man rc.d:
>
>      o   The scripts within each directory are executed in
> lexicographical
>          order.

This is entirely true in the 4.x releases; the 5.x use rcNG.

Technically, you are correct for 5.x as well -- 5.x rc scripts are also
executed in lexicographical order if there are no other controls (for
backwards compatibility).  While this happens to solve this instance of
the problem (because mimedefang precedes sendmail lexicographically),
this is a coincidence.  The "right" way, IMO, is to use the rcNG
dependency mechanism -- that's what it's there for.

-royce