[Mimedefang] problem in installing MIMEDEFANG on Solaris 9:-(.Urgent help

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Tue Mar 9 09:18:54 EST 2004

Mani,

> By the way why it is stoping at -KPIC when compiling
> with present status...
>
> Can u put some light on this error messege which is
> happening when I am using #make(though the ver of gcc
> is 3.3.2)

-KPIC is an option to the Sun C compiler which is not supported by GCC.  This
option produces position-independent code, which GCC handles in a different way.

Based on your previous posts, do the following:

1.  Remove the link you put in place between /usr/ucb/cc and gcc - it's there
for a reason, and should be left alone.  If you don't have the old file, just
delete the link.

2.  Remove the config.cache file from the Perl source folder, and re-run
configure - it should detect that the Sun C compiler is not installed, and
confirm that GCC is to be used.

3.  Re-run the makefile.

What's happening is that configure tries to make informed guesses about how to
build the system.  To start with, it works out that you're on a Sun system, so
it looks for the Sun C compiler.  To do this, it tries to compile a test
program, and if it runs, it assumes the Sun compiler is installed and sets the
correct options for this compiler, including large file support, maths library,
etc.  By linking /usr/ucb/cc to gcc, you fool it into thinking that the Sun
compiler is installed - the original file is not a compiler, so fails
compilation and configure works out that GCC should be used.

If you're not experienced in compiling and installing public domain packages for
Sun systems from scratch, its best to always use the pre-compiled kits from
sites such as sunfreeware.com as they have all of the dependencies worked out,
and have been compiled with compiler switches which are known and tested to
work, as opposed to what can happen if you try it yourself and either don't have
the necessary libraries or get the options wrong.  In this case, at best, it
will fail to compile.  At worst, it will compile without support for key
features, and you'll spend the next three years trying to work out why no
Perl-dependent packages work correctly on your system.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741