[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang as a mail gateway...?

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri Mar 5 17:23:22 EST 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The only real problem is that if the outside gateway is unaware of
> legitimate user names it will accept everything, then when the
> inside mailer rejects the unknown users the outside box must
> construct and return the bounce message.
[...]
> The best solution here is probably to put the users in LDAP and
> configure the outside mailer to use it

Another solution is to build a virtusertable db on your MX which contains a
list of all your valid usernames and reject anyone that isn't in it with an
unknown user error.  This virtusertable can be updated periodically via a
combination of cron, ssh, and scp.  This is what I'm doing at the moment
because at the time I implemented it it was the least drastic change to my
existing setup...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722