[Mimedefang] Password protected Bagle.F

Graham Dunn gdunn at inscriber.com
Fri Mar 5 11:44:39 EST 2004

Lucas Albers said:

 >As near as I unerstand from the clamav list.
 >Clam cannot detect encrypted virus's.
 >I believe this is a flaw in clamav, that cannot be easily remedied. >
 >This is "To the best of my knowldege."

 >You have some options.
 >Add in another virus scanner.
 >Bounce password protected zips.
 >Bounce zips.
 >Bounce password protected zips with certain file types.

 >The easiest thing to do, and what I am doing currently, is bounce zip
 >files for a few days, while I figure out what to do on my internal mail
 >server.

 >http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2004-March/020563.html

 >This is the first salvo in widespread adoption of password protected zip
 >files imo.
 >So consider zip-encrypted files a new file type extension.
 >So I reccomend to block:
 >zip-encrypted zip files by default.

OK, maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm blocking quite a few password protected
virus email (Worm.Bagle.Gen-zippwd, Worm.Bagle.F-zippwd-3). Is there a
difference between "encrypted" and "password protected"? I'm using the
following clamav.conf:

LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
PidFile /var/run/clamav/clamd.pid

LocalSocket /var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock
FixStaleSocket
StreamSaveToDisk
MaxDirectoryRecursion 15
User mailnull
ScanMail
ScanArchive
ArchiveMaxFileSize 10M
ArchiveMaxRecursion 5
ArchiveMaxFiles 1000

The *-zippwd viruses were not getting caught until I added the
"ScanMail" directive.

Graham
--
Graham Dunn, IT Manager
Inscriber Technology, 26 Peppler St, Waterloo, ON, CA N2J3C4