Which milter t/o generates 'timeout before data read' error? was: Re: [Mimedefang] milter timing out.

Andrew J Caird Andrew.Caird at fccc.edu
Mon Mar 1 13:25:48 EST 2004

Quoting "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler at aset.com>:

> "Jon R. Kibler" wrote:
> >

> > > Jan 31 20:51:03 norm sm-mta[27815]: i112jv3O027815: Milter (mimedefang):
> > > timeout before data read
> > > Jan 31 20:51:03 norm sm-mta[27815]: i112jv3O027815: Milter (mimedefang):
> > > to error state
>
> I asked this question earlier, but I think it got lost in other parts of the
> discussion and never got answered: Regarding the above error messages...
> which milter timeout value (C,S,R, or E) effects the 'timeout before data
> read' error? That is, which ones should be increased to eliminate this
> error?

Jon,
  I don't recall seeing an answer to this posted, so here goes a try.
The "timeout before data read" appears to be controlled by the "R" setting; in
sendmail/milter.c that error appears in the function milter_read().  The fourth
argument to that function is "to" (timeout).  Everywhere that milter_read is
called in milter.c the fourth argument is "m->mf_timeout[SMFTO_READ]" which is
parsed from the "R" option (line 1360 of milter.c, sendmail 8.12.10).
  However, remember that you might also be bumping into the "E" setting, which
is the overall timeout.
  Hopefully you have already solved your problem, but just in case you were
still waiting, I hope this helps.
  I've had good luck with the settings below for another email scanner (Sopho's
PureMessage) - even messages that are too large for email (IMO) make it
through.
  Cheers.
--
Andrew

  C:5m          == timeout for connecting to filter is 5 minutes
  E:8m          == overall timeout from start to finish is 8 minutes
  R:4m          == timeout for reading reply from filter is 4 minutes
  S:2m          == Timeout for sending data from MTA to filter is 2 minutes