[Mimedefang] Sender validation

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Thu Jun 24 13:08:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:59:43 -0400, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

>  Can you explain your criteria for accepting a sender if the host
>  is not an MX for the domain?

I never check wether the host sending the mail to our server is an MX for the domain or not because:

1: The fact that a host is responsible for sending outgoing mail from a certain domain does not allways mean it accepts incoming mail to the same domain.

2: People often use their ISP's outgoing server for work mail or their office's outgoing server for private mail. If the mail relays uses the same sender as the client did when sending the mail, the sender's domain may well be one that the relay will not accept mail for.
For an example, check the headers of this mail. It should show that I'm sending through a relay in bredband.net or bredband.se (or something like that), while the MX servers for frukt.org are monty.frukt.org and zoot.hack.org. If Bredbandsbolaget's relay isn't changing my MAIL FROM, none of the servers responsible for getting this mail to you will be an MX for the domain of the sender.

Or did I misunderstand the question?

Personally, I don't think rejecting on this criteria alone is a good idea. Using it for points would be better if one wants to check this.

Regards
/Jonas
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists at frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/