[Mimedefang] Need advise on how to proceed.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jun 11 11:37:05 EDT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Brian McGraw wrote:

> 1. When does the DNSRBL checking happen?
> I've integrated the checks into Sendmail, not MD or SA.

Either at connection time or RCPT time, depending on the "delay_checks"
feature.

> 2. Do the DNSRBL checks happen before, or do they prevent, Sendmail from
> checking to see whether the recipient addresses of real or not?

They usually happen before.

> The reason I ask is that I believe a large part of what is slowing us
> down is all the "User unknown" replies generated by the dictionary
> attacks. Turning off the replies is not an option, unfortunately.

You **MUST** configure your mail network to reject invalid recipients
with a 5xx code at the MX server.  The good old days of having a gateway
machine that lacks knowledge of valid internal addresses are gone; such
an architecture is unsustainable in today's hostile environment.

Depending on your setup, you might be able to use md_check_against_smtp_server
to reject bad recipients at the gateway, or you may have to
hook into LDAP or some other directory system.  In the worst case,
you may have to re-architect your mail system.

> Also, if a spammer sends a piece of mail with 50 people CC'd, and
> the DNSRBL decides that sender is a spammer, does the rejection
> error get sent to the sender once, or once for each person he CC'd?

Once, I believe.

> I've also tried using the throttling technique in Sendmail to slow these
> attacks,  but it doesn't really seem to have helped.  Is there anything
> I'm missing?  Are there any options available in MD to help put a stop
> to the attacks?

Did you read the list archive?  See:

http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2004-June/022774.html