[Mimedefang] check_against_smtp caching?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Jul 6 14:42:43 EDT 2004

> From: Jim Shewmaker [mailto:jims at bluenotch.com]
> Hey, I don't suppose there is a way to have some sort of cache for the
> md_check_against_smtp_server function?  I see this as
> espescially valuable in cases like mine where the users don't change very
often.
> Any comments on a feature request if this isn't already a tunable setting?
>
> Jim Shewmaker

Another option, if you have a way of getting *every* SMTP address on your
SMTP server, is to programmatically build a sendmail "access" file every
half-an-hour or so.

There are various threads on this list dealing with using LDAP against
Microsoft Exchange servers to accomplish this - this is important since
Exchange doesn't work with md_check_against_smtp_server (always returns OK.)

Any new email address on your SMTP server will not be able to receive email
from the outside until the next scheduled "access" update - but this is not
generally a problem.

Basically it looks like this:

access:
joe at example.org OK (or RELAY)
jane at example.org OK (or RELAY)
@example.org REJECT (no unknown recipients @example.org please!)

Make sure to rehash access.db out of access once it's been built.

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"