[Mimedefang] Can't get surbl to work inside MD but works fine in spamassassin -D

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Thu Jul 1 15:21:40 EDT 2004

The main thing one must keep in mind when using MIMEDefang is that MD has
direct access to the SpamAssassin perl modules, so MD has a most of the
control over SA tests, message modification, and configuration.

If you were using some other config, like a local procmail/SpamAssassin
combo, the local.cf file handles all of the SA configuration for
discarding/rejecting/modifying email messages classified by SA.  MIMEDefang,
on the other hand, handles the actual modification of the email messages
itself, so all of that rewrite subject and reporting stuff must be
configured through the mimedefang-filter file, a key difference that can
throw a curve at those who are accustomed to other SA configs.

The $SALocalTestsOnly was clearly meant to follow the "skip_rbl_checks"
convention in the SA local.cf file, setting either vars to 0 enables the
rbl/network tests.

- Chris