[Mimedefang] "No free slaves" vs. "Queueing request"

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Thu Jan 22 08:35:57 EST 2004

This is something I always wanted to know (but was afraid to ask ;-).

Why are there *much more* messages of this kind:

mfconnect: No free slaves

... than messages like this:

All slaves are busy: Queueing request (xx queued)

... in my syslog?

A naive expectation is that every instance of "No free slaves" should be
followed by "Queueing request" but it isn't.

Nb. these two messages are produced by different daemons: mimedefang and
mimedefang-multiplexor respectively. Does this mean the two daemons do not
co-operate properly in my box? Or maybe there is something wrong with my
MD/sendmail configuration...

Besides, in my init file for mimedefang I have: MX_QUEUE_SIZE=10. Hardly
ever this threshold is reached in my case. So the discrepancy I'm talking
about does not result from notorious exceeding the allowable number of
queued requests.

A.M.
Andrzej Marecki                |
Torun Centre for Astronomy     |   e-mail: amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
N. Copernicus University       |   WWW:    http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl
ul. Gagarina 11                |   tel: +48 56 6113032
PL-87-100 Torun, POLAND        |   fax: +48 56 6113009