[Mimedefang] Message that bypasses virus scanning

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Jan 22 04:58:17 EST 2004

Hello,

Testees: mimedefang-2.39 and mimedefang-2.33, with
MIME-tools-5.411a-RP-Patched-02

recently I found warnings in my logs about "Uninitialized values" of the
output triplet of message_contains_virus_fprotd().

The reason is this code snippet in mimedefang.pl, function sub
item_contains_virus_fprotd ($;$), near line 2613:

    if(-d $item) {
        my @result;
        $host .= ":$baseport";
        foreach my $entry (glob("$item/*")) {
            @result = &item_contains_virus_fprotd($entry, $host);
            last if $result[0] != 0;
        }
        return (wantarray ? @result : $result[0]);
    }

The code does return an empty "@result", but only if no regular file in
the directory gets scanned.
Logs show that there are NO files scanned, the "Work" directory is empty!

I wonder why mimedefang.pl scans an empty directory?!

The bypassing that includes the header:

but does not contain any boundary at all, the spam is contained in the
mail body. When I remove that header, the message is scanned.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser