[Mimedefang] Many many MX records

John Stewart jstewart at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Jan 14 08:06:42 EST 2004

Gary Funck wrote:

>How about
>    Domain.com      IN MX 100       spamtrap.domain.com
>
>And set up spamtrap as a real or virtual server, which might safely assume
>that mail directed at is either spam, or mail from broken MTA that doesn't
>deserve the privilege of sending mail to domain.com.

Our impression is that quite a few MTA's ignore the preference values on
MX records
so you could lose a significant amount of legitimate mail.   I've also
seen MTA's that
would only attempt to deliver to the primary MX (lowest preference
number) and never
try any secondary MX records.

It would nice if all MTA's conformed to the standards,  however
non-conformant mail
software has always existed on the Internet.   That's why most people
who write mail
software follow the mantra "Be liberal in what you accept and
conservative in what you
send".

John Stewart -- Computing and Communications Services, Carleton University
Internet: jstewart at ccs.carleton.ca                       613-520-2600x3707
"measure twice, cut once"