[Mimedefang] Can't stop mimedefang from stripping HTML!

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Thu Jan 8 11:28:31 EST 2004

> Of course, everyone who has responsibility for the system must make his
> own choices but does kowtowing to Redmond defaults have to be one?

<rant>
I, for example, am responsible for the smtp gateway systems at this site.  I
answer to my employer, and to my customer.  It's not "my" option or choice,
whether we allow HTML or not.  It instead, is my responsibility to support
the system, configured with the options my customer wants, using the
resources and tools available to me.  If my customer wants HTML mail, they
get it.  Our other defenses (greylisting, subject blocking, etc), have done
an admirable job of blocking the "crap", HTML-ized, or not.  We effectively
block by other logic, that which you would block outright, simply because it
is HTML-based.  I kowtow to no one, and I expect there are others on this
list who are responsible employees, have to answer to management, and just
try to do what they can, with what they have.

Whether spoken in jest or not, we don't kowtow.  I think the position of the
admin who posted the initial problem with HTML mail is valid.  There was no
need to suggest he is kowtowing.

For whatever reason, or by whomever else's preference (or predilection for
kowtowing), there are some times when "NO HTML" is just not an option for
the admin responsible for the system.

My appologies, to the list.  I just felt urked by the kowtowing thang.
</rant>

Ken