[Mimedefang] Can't stop mimedefang from stripping HTML!

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Jan 8 12:16:20 EST 2004

>> Basically and HTML mail that passes through is stripped and all thats
>> left
>> is a plaintext email and web links from the original HTML code.
>> Shamim :)

> It seems you have exactly the correct setup now and can't see why you
> would want to change unless this is the brainchild of you PHB, in which
> case, find another place to work and quickly.

> Gerry Roderick Singleton <gerry at pathtech.org>

I do this, I clean html with anony and strip redundant html.
I've been doing it for 8 months and have not had a single complaint.
I was surprised in the lack of complaint.
I originally did it to protect against IE exploits.
I'm amazingly lazy, and If I had to handle complaints about this on a
monthly basis I wouldn't do it.
That's why I like my current sa/mimedefang setup, I haven't had to
blacklist or change my filter rules, and I keep blocking all the spam.

When I go to campus meetings other sysadmins gripe about spam, and I just
smile and say, "blocked it, whatever it was."

Your mileage may vary on stripping html, depending on how much fancy mail
your senders send.
--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering