[Mimedefang] TESTVIRUS.org - test question

Dirk Mueller dmuell at gmx.net
Sat Feb 28 14:44:07 EST 2004

On Saturday 28 February 2004 19:28, Rob wrote:

> > So this is a mimedefang-only bug. Not a bug in ClamAV.
> Well, I'd call it a bug (or maybe a feature) of both :)

As currently ClamAV never actually sees the faulty bit, it can't be a bug in
ClamAV. On the contrary, I would consider a bug in ClamAV when it starts to
decode inline binhex in arbitrary files (not (!) emails).

> email, as is, to the scanner.  There would be some overhead, but it's
> better than the current situation.

Its not a half-hearted solution. What would you think about ClamAV detecting a
virus in a mail, but then not finding the entity containing the virus (like
for dropping it in your filter). sure you would consider that a bug too..
right?

> Yeah, I solved the problem by using clamav-milter itself.  I'd rather not
> have something else in the loop (more things to break), but I'll live with
> it.

Well, more things in the loop can also prevent a single thing to break if
combined cleverly (like using two virus scanners instead of one, since one
alone always tends to be out of date just the very second you would need it).

Dirk